Return to Tourism Home
Russellville Historic TourProvided by the Logan County Chamber of Commerce
We hope you enjoy your tour of historic Russellville.
click on the links below for a tour via the web.
1-Harrison-Hite Building -c.1887, Carter Harrison and his son concurrently operated a funeral parlor, a grocery, and furniture store here. In the mid-1920's, W.T. Hite purchased the building and converted it to Russellville's first gasoline station. It currently houses the Logan Co. Chamber of Commerce and the Logan Co. Economic Development Commission.
2-Opera House -The Opera House was built in 1903 to accommodate traveling shows and operas. The original entrance was in the center of the building, with a wide staircase leading to a second-floor foyer where the opera room was complete with stage, boxes, balcony, and dressing rooms. It was later converted to a movie house.
8-Sandidge House -c.1894. Home of Judge W.P. Sandidge. This is an outstanding example of Queen Anne architecture. It was at one time a school of Osteopathy.
Library –Circa 1967. To learn more about Russellville and Logan County you
may want to visit our regional library. The library was built using funds from
the deGraffenried legacy to the citizens of the city of Russellville. You can
find them on the web at www.loganlibrary.org.
Christian Church -Circa 1871. Built by a congregation that had met in
private homes from the time of it's organization in 1841.
This building was extensively remodeled in the early 1900s at which time
the stained glass windows were added and the front was moved from east to north.
This lot was the original location of the blacksmith shop of Major
House -c.1810. This is a fine
example of early architecture.
House -Thomas Slaughter, State Senator and son-in-law of Major Richard Bibb,
built this house in 1820. It was the boyhood home of Thomas P. deGraffenried, a
New York attorney, who left Russellville one million dollars for the education
of the citizens at large therein. The small one and a half story building behind
this house was used as a school between 1887 and 1908.
House -Major Richard Bibb, a Revolutionary War officer, built this house in
1820. In 1829, he freed 29 of his slaves and returned them to Liberia. He
provided for the liberation of his remaining slaves in his will in 1839. One of
his sons, John, developed Bibb lettuce; another, George, became Chief Justice of
the Kentucky Court of Appeals, a United States Senator, and member of President
Tyler's cabinet. Tours available by
House -begun before 1824 by John Whiting Washington, third cousin of George
Washington. Bought in 1880 by Thomas Clark. Now run as bed and breakfast by
Charles and Regina Phillips, (270) 726-1240.
House -built prior to 1824 by Christopher Orndorff. He
was clerk of the first Logan Court and, later, a merchant. He died in 1835, and
is buried in the garden behind the house along with his wife and three of his
children. It was later the home of
House -c.1810. This unique frame and brick house was the home of John
Crittenden, who served as Kentucky's Governor from 1848-1850, served in the U.S.
Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives, and as Attorney General under three
presidents. He is probably most well remembered as the author of the
“Crittenden Compromise” which attempted to prevent the Civil War.
His sons fought against each other in the Civil War, meeting at the
Battle of Shiloh.
House -Originally a two-room log house built in 1811 by Judge William
Wallace, once served as a tavern and stagecoach inn, reconstructed in 1822 by
Augustine Byrne, father of Walter Byrne, first of four generations of
House -The original section of this house was built by Presley N. O'Bannon
who came to Russellville in 1807. He launched a political career based on his
heroism in the Barbary Wars during which he planted the American flag for the
first time on foreign soil at Tripoli. He served in the Kentucky House of
Representatives and Senate. In 1814 the house was purchased by Richard Bibb,
Jr., who added a two story front entrance.
Hall -Built by Winn Courts in 1890. It
was later the home of Tom Rhea.
House -c.1820. Home of Armistead Morehead, first Russellville postmaster and
father of James T. Morehead, who became governor of Kentucky in 1834.
House -Built in 1814 by Richard Curd; owned since 1865 by the Coffman
family. The late Rev. Edward Coffman, Sr. was the author of four local
House -In 1815, Major Sherwood W. Atkinson of Virginia bought the lot on
which this house stands. The circular stairway on the north side, porch, and
Greek revival columns were added later.
Temple –Circa 1852. Oldest
organized church in Russellville, dating to 1808. Remodeled in 1917, when stain
glass windows were added, to resemble a Greek Temple.
House -Built in the early 1800's, it once sold for $125 and a mare.
The wooden exterior of this house resembles cut stone in the style of
Caldwell House -Samuel Caldwell came to Russellville in 1793 and was one of
the first merchants to settle here. He built this house around 1805.
Baptist Church -c.1899. This
Victorian structure replaced an earlier Baptist Church built in 1816.
Breathitt House -This house was built around 1812 by John Breathitt, who was
Kentucky's Governor from 1832-34. Governor
Breathitt is buried in Logan County, and a monument to him was erected by the
State of Kentucky in Maple Grove Cemetery.
House -Governor John Breathitt had this house built for his sister between
1818 and 1828. In the mid-1800's it became an exclusive boys' school and was
attended by Charles Morehead who was the Governor of Kentucky in 1855.
Square -site of Old Court House, c.1822. The first courthouse was a cedar
log building built in 1792. Andrew Jackson practiced law in the Logan County
Court House around 1794. The Square
today contains several historical markers, a Confederate Memorial, a cast iron
fountain, and military memorials including a cannon.
& Leader -c.1873. The News-Democrat & leader newspaper is successor
to Kentucky's oldest newspaper, The Mirror, established in 1806.
The building formerly housed a hardware store.
House of the Confederacy -The center section of this building was built in
1820 by an Englishman named Forst. It was the site of the Confederate
Convention, held on November 20th, 1861. Delegates from forty-three Kentucky
counties met to form a provisional government for the Confederate State of
County Courthouse -Built in 1904, this is Logan's third courthouse. Court
first met in 1793 in a two-story log structure known as Cedar House. From 1822
through the late 1800's the courthouse was located in the middle of Park Square.
On top of the present Courthouse is a reproduction of the fish weather vane
originally located on top of the 1820 Courthouse located in the Public Square.
The original fish, now on display in the 1817 Saddle Factory Museum, has
three bullet holes, allegedly shot by either a member of the James Gang or a
drunken Union soldier, Jim Atkins of Butler Co., during the Civil War.
Jail -Built in 1869, the jail houses county records stored there under the
direction of the Genealogical Society. Notable
for the cut stone cell block.
36- Seward House -c.1870.
37- E.M. Clark House -built before 1860. The front section is of log, now sheathed with clapboarding.
38- Married Students Quarters of Bethel College -c.1860. These two adjacent buildings were donated by Nimrod Long to Bethel College
39- Old Baptist parsonage -c.1888.
Evans House -c.1880.
Evans House -c.1870.
House -Maple Grove Cemetery, c.1870. Fabled site of "ghost"
appearance in second floor window.
House -c.1817. Home of Joseph Gray, owner of the Gray Hotel and Tavern. In
1887, the Patrick Ryan family built the four rooms and portico on the east side
of the Gray home, making this the front of the house, rather than the south
side. Later, lots were sold on each side of the long driveway, which ran
east-west, and it was named Ryan drive.
Saddle Factory -built in 1810 by Andrew and David Caldwell, it is
Russellville's oldest factory. Unique to its construction are the 13 wide
windows designed to allow two men to work by the light of each. Indentured
apprentices were housed on the third floor where, written on one of the walls,
are the words, "Two years from today, I will be free. 1812".
B - Kimbrough House - c. 1800. Oldest
house in Russellville and the home of Marmaduke Beckworth Morton I. Future
home of the African-American Heritage Museum.
C-Roberts House ("Mockingbird Hill") -begun in 1837 and completed in 1850 for Ormond Roberts. Used as a hospital and headquarters by Federal troops during the Civil War. After the war, Mr. Roberts sold it as a site for a Methodist college. The Methodist Conference decided to build the college nearer to town and sold this property to George W. Edwards.
Return to Tourism Home